Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Spirit

I picked up this little masterpiece today...



This is one of those books that I drool over the artwork for a day or two before I actually sit down to read it. Fact is Cooke's writing always takes a backseat to his art for me, similar to when I pick up a Mignola book -not that their writing isn't any good I might add, not at all. Take a look at Cooke's opus THE NEW FRONTIER for proof of that. It's moreso, speaking from an artists perspective- "I just get lost in the damn visuals." If the writings good too-bonus.

This Volume also has a series of short stories drawn by the likes of Chris Spouse(which is just beautifully drawn) Edwardo Risso, Phil Hester and wait for it...

...JORDI BERNET.

Jordi Bernet is one of the finest artists working in the industry today so this was a great surprise. This guy is a perfect choice for The Spirit, DC should get him working on a full volume. I first came across his work with TORPEDO 1936 and was completely blown away.



Those brush strokes...

Some time ago I picked up a great collection of his work in a book aptly titled BERNET. Well worth checking out.



Here is some more of the master, just for the sheer hell of it...








Bliss...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Superb art samples from these legends

joe ackerman said...

awesome. I'm pretty new to Bernet, myself. I only "discovered" him when I recently picked up a set of the SOLO series. picked up my first Torpedo a few weeks ago. sweet.