Saturday, October 18, 2008

Friday the 13th/Andy B

I usually avoid comics based on movie franchises, especially when it comes to the horror related stuff as it's usually poorly written with garish amateurish art.

Well I just found one that breaks all of my preconceived notions.

Written by Josha Hale Fialkov, drawn by Andy B and published by Wildstorm -this one stands head and shoulders above most of the other comics I have seen regarding the genre. The interior art stopped me in my tracks. Rendered in an almost EC comics meets Archie type style with a highly pixelated look of '60s-'70s newsprint comic strips Jason has never looked so good, David B's more "cartoony" style really helps lend to the ensuing mayhem giving it a somewhat humorous undertone. The story itself is quite properly: sordid, gore-filled and tasteless not making the mistake of taking itself too seriously and quite literally had me smiling all the way through.


Above is a black and white image of the cover drawn by artist Brandon Badeaux.

This book came out some months back and I believe it has already been collected into a trade.

Below is some samples of Andy B's art.








Andy B is also part of the excellent Toronto based www.transmission-x.com online comic book website.

Great comic!

1 comment:

joe ackerman said...

I've read this before, somewhere, for the life of me I can't remember where. it's pretty cool. never seen that cover before, though. that's gorgeous. nice post.