Wednesday, February 15, 2012

SOUND IT OUT

I must admit I do enjoy my digital tunes, they are immediate and compact- meaning I can have a ridiculous amount of music on my ipod at any given time.

In saying that, I do miss the days of going to record stores and picking up Vinyl - it just seemed you got a little more bang for your buck- gatefold sleeves for one, I mean in general the bloody size of them was impressive opposed to your little cassettes and then your CDs and now, well...there's nothing of any tangible value whatsoever...

There was just something more personal about owning an album or a record; even the scratches held distant memories (-usually being too pissed to place the needle on the record properly in my case...) The sound of the needle was a comforting sound in itself-- like the rumble of a train as it moved towards it's track 1 destination... (bit of a wanky metaphor- but bear with me...)

I do also remember my sister and myself as kids using a bunch of my dad's Beatles and old Elvis singles as stepping stones-- and the sound they made as they crunched under our feet...

GOD IN HEAVEN!!!!

Anyway...that brings me on to this:

TRAILER: SOUND IT OUT - A documentary by Jeanie Finlay from Jeanie Finlay on Vimeo.

This is a fantastic slice of life documentary of the very last surviving vinyl record shop in Stock-on Tees in the UK.

I bloody loved it! I think you will too...

Website: www.sounditoutdoc.com


No comments: